My name is Domineque and I have worked in the animal welfare industry for the past 10 years, both in Sydney (RSPCA) and Monika’s Doggie Rescue and Sanctuary Tails Animal Rescue, and in Dublin, Ireland (DSPCA).
I also worked as a manager and trainer in a dog daycare for 2 ½ years while studying. I was also a volunteer trainer at the Eastern Suburbs Dog club in Centennial park each Sunday morning.
While on a working holiday, I volunteered for the Dublin Society For Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals. I volunteered for approximately one year until I was offered a job as an animal career, working with cats, dogs, deer, birds, leverets, hedgehogs and the list goes on.
I have worked with all kinds of animals in all sorts of circumstances, from the sick and injured to the unfortunate ones who were left behind by their owners.
When I returned home to Australia I worked with the R.S.P.C.A, Monika’s Doggie Rescue. Currently I work with Sanctuary Tails Animal rescue, helping to rehabilitate pound dogs, as well as help with transition from a shelter environment to a new forever home.
While working in the shelters I discovered a common theme. There were less than 1% of the animals that were surrendered or dumped that had problems that were beyond fixing, mostly health problems. The other 99% were behavioural problems that could easily be fixed with some time and patience. This upset and angered me as I would sometimes see people surrender a dog due to behavioural issues like jumping, to then return a month or so later looking to buy another dog/puppy.
Recently I have adopted a dog from Blacktown pound whom we have discovered is reactive to some humans. This is a behavioural problem I have dealt with many times with clients, now I can truly understand what some of you may be going through. So I am currently training both myself and my boy Archie. Working with a reactive dog is hard but extremely rewarding. Experiencing this myself gives me a clearer understanding of what so many owners and dogs go through. In our urban society it is very hard for our dogs to try and adjust, so it is up to us as owners to help make their world a more predictable and safe place to live.
My passion and goal as a Behavioural trainer is to help people better understand their dogs and their behaviours, to build strong connections and trust between people and their dogs, as well as teach people how to communicate with their dogs so their dogs understand what we are trying to teach them.
As well as working with dogs, I have had the great pleasure of working with Taiwans endangered Formosan Bears. I have also trained chickens, cats and a goat.
Prevention rather than cure, I believe if dog owners were better educated in dog behaviour, there would be less dog’s in pounds.
All my training programs are based on scientific principles of learning theory using positive reinforcement.
I have completed the following:
- APDT behaviour conference 2011
- Completed Dangerous Dogs assessing and handling: Steve Austin 2013
- Terry Ryan’s Chicken Camp 2013
- Nose work at Australian Canine sports and training Centre: 2013
- Delta Society Australia Certificate IV in Companion animal training and Behaviour
- Certificate of Excellence for Living & Learning With Animal – The Science & Technology of Behaviour Change – November 2015
- K9 Nosework 2016
- Terry Ryan’s Advanced Criteria and Cueing Chicken Camp 2017
I am also a member of:
The Pet Professional Guild (Australia)
Animal Training Academy